For a plant-based source of protein, chia seeds are up at the top with 14% of their composition being protein. It makes them a great dietary addition for vegetarians but also an excellent work out snack to sate hunger and help lose weight in a combination regimen of healthy lifestyle, diet and exercise.
Particularly notable for those with type 2 diabetes or at risk of heart disease, chia seeds can help in tandem with other foods to lower LDL cholesterol, raise HDL cholesterol and reduce insulin resistance. These risk factors may be able to be altered with chia seeds as an addition to a healthy diet.
Try out this fantastic, quick and easy porridge recipe for breakfast to get more chia seeds in your food.
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 1 banana
- 2 dates, pitted
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- salt to taste
- 1/4 fresh blueberries, to garnish
- Put chia seeds into a bowl.
- Place bananas and dates in a blender first, then add almond milk, cinnamon and salt. Blend ingredients until smooth.
- Pour the mixture over the chia seeds and make sure to stir well.
- Let it sit while the chia seeds soak in the mixture. Allow for at least 15 minutes.
- Stir the porridge again and garnish with blueberries or other favourite fruits.
For a softer porridge: let it refrigerate overnight.